Saturday, July 5, 2014

Heat Wave

It's been hot, and getting hotter by the day (I'm outside of Philadelphia if you're wondering). It's been a kind of break the car window of the asshole who left their dog in there while they go shopping hot. A kind of, I'm not hungry for anything except A/C and Rita's hot.

It's the beginning of another summer, and some people still do not believe that global warming exists. They refuse the science as their asses melt into their recliners. I think that the heat affects more than just the earth and the glaciers. I think it dilutes common sense as well.

Okay. I'm done talking about that shit. In one of my favorite songs, Tom Waits states that we are in a world "where strangers talk only 'bout the weather." And I would like to think--because you are taking the time to read this--that we are more than just strangers. You have my soul. I have your time. That's a fair trade that I can live with.

I haven't really written any poems about this kind of heat. More like the heat that exists between two people. We all feel weather. But too many of us take the time to really appreciate a good love, or a tremendous hatred for all the right reasons.

Okay... Remember in an earlier post how I said that I tend to say "screw this," walk away from blog posts, and pick back up at a later time? Well... this is another one of those instances. Here we are three days later because I've been out and about the past couple days and haven't written anything.

It was pretty nice, both weather- and event-wise, yesterday in Jim Thorpe, PA. The little town is nestled in the mountains and there is a lot of history there that tourists tend to eat up by the heaping spoonful. It's a lot like New Hope; an extremely bloody history has left the place haunted and damned, but at least we can get ice cream and walk around from shop to shop. I highly recommend going if you've never been. Visit the Old Jail where a few Irishmen were hanged because somebody decided to blame them for murder instead of giving them a decent job. They made a movie about the men (they were called the Molly Maguires). Sean Connery was in the film.

I've never seen it...

Poetry? Nah. Not this time. This was more of a... oh, I don't know... let's call it a "practice post" for the hell of it. Me just needing to write just because.

Enjoy the weekend, friends. Spoil a canvas.

Yours,

~Torres




No comments:

Post a Comment