Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Yesterday

I've got a lot going on.
And, lately, there hasn't been much music
in my life.

Everyone on the radio talks too much.

Yesterday
The ice and snow
mixed on the sidewalk
and streets
And it looked like Cornmeal porridge.

The kind I used to make when we were snowed in.

I brought this bottle of rum with me.
Its got a good coconut and lime accompaniment.

Maybe, together, we'll hear jazz one more time.

I woke up
dreading the day
and missing people
I haven't seen in a while.

The typewriter ignored me.
The word processor ignored me.
The computer ignored me.

I wrote another poem about nothing
in my head
while I had my coffee
in bitter contemplation.

I would have written you sooner.
I wanted to.
But I don't like writing about cliche topics.
Or,
the kind of things that strangers
discuss while waiting for buses.

It's 2015
and I have 3 dollars in my wallet.

I'm waiting to hear back from 2 poetry contest
and a literary magazine.

They keep me going.

I'm waiting for the night time to come.
She'll be home, and she'll smile at me.

I'm waiting for the right word
to strike
and ring out in the forge
of my aged soul.

Perhaps I should eat strawberries a little more slowly.

Perhaps I should go fishing
when spring arrives.





No comments:

Post a Comment