Friday, June 27, 2014

Take the Heming-way

Hemingway said that you should write 400 meaningful words and make 'em count.

Some days, I'm lucky if I can form a single predicate. And, I can guarantee you, that this will be the last thing that I write tonight (10:15 p.m. on Wednesday, June 25, 2014) before I give up and resume this post on another night. Poetry is the only thing that really rockets out like a beer shit (a good, albeit gross, Bukowski reference).

And I'm back (two nights later).

Hemingway was also a dude who drained the marrow out of life. Tried new things. Lost a testicle in war. You know, the usual stuff... 

I wouldn't suggest the latter, but if it floats your boat, I'm not gonna stop ya. 


By the way, here is the info for my next feature that is coming up. I copied straight from the email that was blasted out to those that are on the readings mailing list.

"Farley’s Bookshop Poets Series welcomes poets Brian Fanelli and Ryan Torres for a reading and book signing Thursday, July 3, at 7 p.m. Farley’s is located at 44 South Main Street, New Hope, PA 18938. Phone 215-862-2452."

Boom! Hope to see you there. For now though.... poesy.
___________________________________________

The Liar 
 
The cell phone danced

and buzzed

like a dying moth

on the shellacked mahogany

before the bald bastard retrieved it

and stuck it to his dome.



“Yes? Okay.

Well, I can’t.

I’m at the store.

I’m sorry.

Yeah.

I’ll be home soon.

They don’t have what I need.”



He hung up.

“Kids,”

he said,

as he winked at the waitress

and lifted his scotch

from the barstool across from me.
___________________________________________

Cheers!

~Torres


No comments:

Post a Comment