Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Testing the Waters

After my latest reading at the New Hope Arts in New Hope, Pa. on May 31, 2014, I decided that it was time to start a blog so that I could get my thoughts out, keep my skills sharp, and share my work with anyone who cares. Below is one of the poems that I read at the event. It is also one of the poems that will be in my new chapbook entitled "Moving to Dystopia."
__________________________________

Lonesome Is The Crow’s Nest

To think
Of a life
Where the ship never sails
Without you.
They remain at the dock
Patient
And yell your name
From the crow’s nest.

But we may have to swim this time.

Art.

All around you
They crave something beautiful
But formed
Reducing you to an onion
Shredding layers
Like peeling off the summer dress
Of an august princess.

Those who can’t take art for what it is
Want master’s of prose and poetry
By college degree alone.
Not by successful practioners of life.
Screeners of past voices.
Not Screams of perfected madness.
The writing of the dead revisited.
Not the teaching of life revitalized.

This is why
When the waves begin to calm
And the tempest changes direction
We paddle
Against the current
Until the waters begin to boil
And the sea is bone and dust.

Think.
Believe.
In a life
Where the ship
Never sails without you.

Listen!

I can hear them calling your name
for once.
__________________________

Thanks for reading.

 Cheers,
~Torres

No comments:

Post a Comment